Repeat deportee pleads guilty to illegal reentry in Massachusetts

An ICE Boston operation led to a Guatemalan national pleading guilty in federal court to illegally reentering the United States after being deported. Manuel Ruiz-Luis, 52, pleaded guilty to one count of unlawful reentry of a deported alien.

During a recent court appearance in Boston, Manuel Ruiz-Luis, 52, admitted to one count of unlawful reentry after removal. The case stems from a March 31 arrest by officers with ICE’s Enforcement and Removal Operations in New Bedford, Massachusetts, where Ruiz-Luis was residing without legal status.

Federal officials say Ruiz-Luis had been previously deported on two separate occasions. His first removal occurred in April 1996, but he unlawfully reentered the country. He was deported again in March 2012 and subsequently returned to the U.S. without authorization.

In a statement, ICE Boston’s acting Field Office Director Patricia H. Hyde said the repeated violations reflect a willful defiance of immigration law.

“Manuel Ruiz-Luis has displayed a blatant disregard for U.S. immigration laws by illegally reentering the U.S. after having been deported on two previous occasions,” Hyde said. “Furthermore, Ruiz-Luis chose to endanger our law-abiding residents by driving his vehicle under the influence of alcohol. ICE Boston will continue to prioritize public safety by arresting and removing criminal alien offenders from our New England neighborhoods.”

Court records show that Ruiz-Luis has multiple prior convictions in the United States, including one for operating under the influence and four separate convictions for driving without a license. Those offenses occurred before his 2012 removal, according to ICE.

Ruiz-Luis now faces up to two years in federal prison, one year of supervised release, and a fine of up to $250,000. Sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 18.

If sentenced, Ruiz-Luis will again be subject to removal following the completion of his term.

ICE officials emphasized that repeat immigration offenders with criminal records remain a priority for enforcement, especially in sanctuary jurisdictions where local cooperation is limited. The agency said it will continue to pursue individuals who defy deportation orders and pose a risk to public safety.

Ruiz-Luis remains in federal custody pending his sentencing hearing.